Re: [Phys-l] amazing golf shot

On 3/7/2011 8:08 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
A student sent me this clip of an incredible chip shot by Tiger Woods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1I55z-x6zc

The huge crowd cheered as the ball approached the hole, and the student
asked me if sound affected the ball near the cup. I had never seen this
clip before and had to watch it several times. It appears that the ball
always has momentum.

I am now wondering -- as my student did: If the ball really did stop
momentarily, could longitudinal sound vibrations from the nearby roaring
crowd shake the ground enough to slightly move the ball into the hole?

To gain a fighting chance at analyzing the circumstance, let's suppose that c is 1000 fps
and the ball diameter is 2 inches (both numbers picked out of the air, certainly).

Let us further suppose that in order to gain perceptible energy from the incident
sound waves, the ball needs to represent at least a wavelength.
Then we ask - is the energy in the crowd's roar centered on 6kHz?

Probably not.

Brian W