[Phys-l] Copy: [ap-physics] Wave Demonstrator on the Cheap

Similarly to the intro the curmudgeon on this list writes:

I pray one of you-all will find this of interest:

COPY of my post.

Bottom posted.

On 2011, Jan 29, , at 14:14, X wrote:

And then there's the situation of standing waves. Y! Could he set up standing waves in the demonstrator? And what frequencies would they have? Maybe all it would take is a digital camera operating in movie mode to capture the standing wave oscillations, then play back frame-by-frame to determine the period and thus the frequency.

Here's a quote from one of the comments on the page:

"2) Standing waves – Worked a treat, a bit fiddly to get going but does work. One idea was to practice beforehand and then get a good standing wave ‘feel’ and then pre colour code the nodes and antinodes with a specific colour (all yellows are moving , all reds are stationary). We did try and have a little wiggle to try and show a bigger antionode (sic) motion if you get my drift but the damping seemed to work against us

3) Sending waves through each other (we started with one up wave from one end and one down from the other hoping for a magical constructive interference at the middle!) – Well you can see them pass through each other it but the secondary reflections and twists mean that it gets messy pretty quickly."

I exported my trim to an image sequence. It's here:

Index of /Someone_is_Wrong/wave machine complete sequence

Unfortunately, I don't know the method of downloading all the images in a package to view them successively conveniently.

bc has two Bell Labs short sections and a driver.

p.s. the original vid.:

Wave Machine - National STEM Centre