[Phys-l] Why question(s), again?

A teacher member of the PTSOS** list posted:
We're discussing Special Relativity in my conceptual physics class,
and a student asked WHY light goes at 300,000 km/s, and what limits it.

Have you any recommendations for a response?

Does one answer such questions by: physics deals w/ how and what, not why (that's meta-physics), or delve into Maxwell -- which leads to why is mu 4Pi E-7 and e 8.85 etc.

bc stumped, after cursorily searching JD's site.

p.s. is the answer a just-so story?

** New Teacher Workshop Home