Re: [Phys-l] definition of gravity

On 2011, Nov 10, , at 14:38, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

In my world, when confronted with an ill-posed question, the crucial
first step is to clearly identify it as ill-posed.

We agree.

I also remark that in most cases other than (a), any observer with
the slightest amount of sense would have noticed that the gravitational
acceleration was time-dependent, and would report the time-dependence
explicitly (rather than merely quoting the instantaneous value).

Now THAT is a seriously good point!

I realize now that most questions posed on this list are intentionally ill posed, except those by JD and possible a very few others (I'm included in the class of unintentionally ill posed posers.).

I assumed, of course, the earths fixed,

I very much would appreciate how many also assumed the obviously easy to answer assumption.

I also thought to calc. the time of collision, but soon got a head ache. I got a max. value by assuming the initial acceleration constant.

bc still has a Kopfschmerz.