Re: [Phys-l] definition of gravity

On 11/8/2011 3:27 PM, John Mallinckrodt wrote: /snip/
Here's a question that might be instructive to work out: Suppose you have two non-rotating Earth's with a center to center distance of 3 Earth radii. What gravitational field (in terms of g, the gravitational field on an isolated non-rotating Earth) would be determined by a person standing at the point on the surface of one of the Earths that is closest to the other Earth? Is it the same as the acceleration that person observes for an object dropped to the ground? John Mallinckrodt Cal Poly Pomona
.
.
.
I'm always up for instruction - and supposing there are factors I'm ignoring:
I imagine the acceleration would be about 0.75g

What would it really be?

Brian W