Re: [Phys-l] three central misconceptions about relativity

On 10/14/2011 10:34 PM, Hugh Haskell wrote:
Teaching students who are only barely comfortable
with two-dimensional geometry and trigonometry
about Minkowski diagrams and 4-space is really
not too practical. They already have problems
with abstractions, so those of us who teach
students t that level are pretty much required to
look at the differences between Newtonian and
Relativistic mechanics, and more or less leave it
there. In my classes I teach relativity by
starting with Einstein's postulates, and "derive"
the space and time dilation formulas

One could easily turn that argument on its head:

a) If the students are not sufficiently comfortable
with geometry and trigonometry in the xy plane, then
telling them about rulers that can't be trusted and
clocks that can't be trusted will only make things
worse. Much worse.

b) There is at least a chance that talking about
the geometry and trigonometry of the xt plane will
build on /and reinforce/ stuff they already know.

c) If they are really so clueless that they can't
handle item (b), then you shouldn't mention relativity
to them at all.

I'm serious: Modern (post-1908) relativity is *less*
complicated than the other kind. It's more pictorial,
more intuitive, and more connected to stuff students
already know. If they can't handle the geometric /
trigonometric approach, they have no chance of handling
the other approach.

==============

weird is clearly in the eye
of the beholder.

Agreed.

When something the student has
"known" for a long time is shown to be not true,
the "weird" label will almost always be applied
to the new material rather than the old.

True ... but not relevant to relativity, if it is done right.

Special relativity is just not very weird. Little if any
conflicts with what they already know. For example, it
firmly predicts that kinetic energy goes like half p^2/m
when the momentum is not overly huge. That's not weird.
That's not even new.

Special relativity says that if you want to calculate the
length of a vector, you need to account for /all/ of the
components. That's not weird. That's not even new.

I still cannot imagine any good reason for taking a simple,
elegant subject and making it complicated and weird by thinking
about it the wrong way.

Students don't have misconceptions about spacetime. The
teachers are the ones you need to worry about. That's because
they have been exposed over and over again to clocks that
(allegedly) can't be trusted, rulers that (allegedly) can't
be trusted, mass that (allegedly) depends on velocity, and
various other wacky ideas that are incompatible with any
real understanding of the subject.