Northern Indiana Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Collaborative
574-276-8294
inquirybellina@comcast.net

On Sep 22, 2010, at 11:10 PM, Karshner, Gary wrote:

It is interesting that a Danish protestant on the verge of the thirty years war would have a deal with the Pope. His patron at the end was Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II (a Catholic). Kepler made a deal with all concerned to finish the Tycho tables, get Tycho's family paid for them and his instruments, and name them after Rudolf. They are the Rudolphine Tables. As far as I know the Pope never got involved. Tycho had his own system of the universe which actually found wide acceptance. It was the Copernican system with a stationary Earth and the Sun and Moon going around it and the planets all going around the Sun. It let you do Copernican Mathematics but keep Aristotelian physics!
Gary Karshner
-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l- bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Clement
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:56 PM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Galileo was wrong

This is certainly in agreement with the Wikipedia. But I remember reading somewhere that the Pope was interested in his project because it would improve astronomical tables needed for navigation. And I also recall that the data was supposed to eventually go the Vatican, but Kepler ran off with it. This may have come out of one of the Harvard Project Physics readers, which had both physicists and historians working together. Since Tycho had a Holy Roman Emperor at Prague as his patron in later years, he was certainly somewhat under the thumb of the Catholic church. So there may have been some promises made to wring concessions. Being a wealthy man, he could afford to go and do where he pleased, while making concessions on paper.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

My understanding is that Brahe was actually trying to find good data
that would verify the Ptolemaic system (or more accurately his and/or
latter day versions of that system.)

I think this was an ambiguous antecedent. Kepler was outside, but
Galileo inside. As I understood Brahe actually was doing his
observations with the support of the Pope, but Kepler ran off with
his notebooks after Brahe's death.

I find it hard to think of Galileo as being outside the influence
of the Catholic Church. He seems like a pretty go insider to me.

He needed some sort of circular inertia to explain the continue
motion of the planets. Just a guess, perhaps he appealed to the
ideal circular motion as why they continued.