From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Clement
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:53 PM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Galileo was wrong

I think this was an ambiguous antecedent. Kepler was outside, but
Galileo
inside. As I understood Brahe actually was doing his observations with
the
support of the Pope, but Kepler ran off with his notebooks after Brahe's
death.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I find it hard to think of Galileo as being outside the influence of
the Catholic Church. He seems like a pretty go insider to me.

He needed some sort of circular inertia to explain the continue
motion of the planets. Just a guess, perhaps he appealed to the
ideal circular motion as why they continued.