Re: [Phys-l] how to explain relativity

Resolving these 'paradoxes' isn't QUITE as simple as adopting the space-time geometry.

The 'Speed Limit' postulate can't be dismissed so easily.
And it is the Speed Limit thing that lets us understand the loss of simultaneity.
The Speed Limit thing doesn't JUST apply to light either.
It means that NO information can propagate faster than c.
For instance, propagation of internal stresses (in ropes or any extended looooong object) is limited by c.

Minkowsky space time is good. Very good. but it ain't complete.
Gotta keep the Speed Limit thing clearly visible in our bag of tools.

(at least when 'explaining' things to one as unsophisticated as I.)