Re: [Phys-l] Algebra based/calculus based laboratory

The questions were 2:

ABSTRACT: Jacob Blickenstaff of the Phys-L list asked (paraphrasing):
"Can the same introductory laboratory activities be used in labs for
both calculus-based course for physics majors and the algebra-based
course for non-majors?"

Jacob Clark Blickenstaff (2010) in his Phys-L post "Algebra
based/calculus based laboratory" asked (paraphrasing):

"Do any other institutions use the same laboratory activities in both
the algebra based (or non-majors) and calculus based (or majors)
introductory course. Some colleagues need convincing that along with
revising the 8 year old manual, creating two sets of activities will
be worth the time and effort."

I teach Physics at Sussex County Community College, and have done so for more than 15 years now. For most of that time, I was the ONLY physics instructor there! Early on I developed a set of labs that worked for both sets of classes, not having the funds to buy more than a very small amount of equipment each year. What I DID do was develop different expectations of the ANALYSIS that each level did. For most of the 15 years I've been using this, it has worked well, and been very effective.

Just recently we have expanded so much that it has become necessary to hire an evening Adjunct. I then had to 'publish' my labs through a 3rd party so that the students in all classes would get the same lab experience. The Adjunct loves the labs, is having as much fun doing them and the analysis as the students are, and is pleasantly surprised how well they dovetail with the material, thus reinforcing the overall content -- which they should since I wrote them to do that and have had 15 years to refine the darned things!

So, my short answer to the above questions is -- Yes, you can use the same labs at two distinct levels, but I'd say that the data analysis and equation derivations must have two distinct levels of expectation.

Peter Schoch