Re: [Phys-l] Algebra based/calculus based laboratory

At 3:18 PM -0400 4/8/10, Dr. Richard Tarara wrote:
We have several labs that span all three clientele--gen-ed, algebra-based,
calculus-based. In some cases ('electrician' lab--bulbs and batteries)
there are basically no differences in the way the lab is presented. This, I
think is important. Your Calculus level students are likely NOT to have a
very good conceptual grasp of the material and labs that deal with
conceptual understanding can be every bit as valuable for them as they might
be for the Gen-Ed student.

I agree wholeheartedly and would also put basic d-v-a-t graphing with motion detectors into this same category.
Just because they will 'know' integral calculus doesn't mean they can relate the slope of a real time motion graph to the speed or acceleration. (And I would avoid the word 'acceleration' like the plague until it is absolutely necessary.) Solving problems with finding areas of rectangles and triangles is JUST as useful for the Calc students as it is for those who are more realistically grounded in the concrete hands-on world.

(Don't make me THINK - just give me the equation to plug into!!!!)