Re: [Phys-l] musical instruments

The lowest note on a brass instrument is often called the 'pedal
tone' (for reasons that I cannot fathom), VERY rarely heard (and when
you DO hear it - you understand WHY). More of a 'fart' than a tone.

I think it is possibly called the pedal tone as an analogy to the organ,
where the low notes are usually played by the pedals, rather than by the
keyboard.

As to the tone, there is a folk instrument that is used in Czech music which
sounds exactly like a 'fart'. So apparently that type of tone is tolerated
in folk music, but not from concert instruments.

John M. Clement
Housont, TX