Re: [Phys-l] Gamma-Gamma Coincidence

What detectors will be used? If sodium iodide detectors are used, you should not need *many* microcuries; rather, you should be able to pull this off with a license-exempt 1-uCi source. If much-less sensitive GeLi detectors are used you will need more time, or a hotter source. I will assume NaI because GeLi detectors are very expensive, and you probably don't have two of them unless you are already familiar with gamma-coincidence experiments.

The LBL reference Brian Whatcott provided is reasonable, except as mentioned above, I don't see the need for a source hotter than a license-exempt source unless you want a reasonably large separation between the detectors so the angular correlation will have better resolution. I didn't see any reference to the dimensions of the physical layout in the LBL description.

Here are a few more points...

(1) I take exception to calling this gamma-gamma coincidence. The 511-keV photons from B+ annihilation are not gamma rays. Gamma rays come from the nucleus and these definitely are not coming from the nucleus. They are more properly referred to as annihilation photons, and the the shorthand way to designate them is (lower-case-Greek-letter-gamma)(superscript-plus/minus-symbol).

(2) These annihilation photons are not strictly 180 degrees apart because they must conserve the momentum of the beta-plus. However, since the beta-plus trajectories will be random, equal numbers of coincident photons will be detected at angles both before and after the movable detector passes through 180-degrees. Thus, the width of the observed 180-degree correlation is partly caused by the non-180-degree correlation (while another part is caused by the angular resolution of the goniometer/detector system). This means if you lengthen the arms of the goniometer to get better resolution, this will only narrow the peak up to some point, at which point further narrowing won't be possible.

(3) The experimental set described in the LBL lab appears to be a counting experiment only. The energies of the photons are not recorded. There likely will be as many Compton-scattered photons detected (less than 511-kev) as 511-keV events. These Compton-scattered photos are fairly isotropic, but "simultaneous" within the time resolution of the coincidence experiment. This means they are true coincidences (not chance), but they do not show show any angular correlation. Another source of true coincidences that are not angularly-correlated at nearly 180 degrees are those between a 511-keV photon and a 1274-keV gamma.

These true (but not angularly-correlated) coincident photons might be the background mentioned in the LBL lab under "analysis #3," but the wording of "analysis #3" does not make any sense to me.

It is not clear in the LBL lab if the single-channel analyzers (SCA) are making use of both upper and low-level discriminators (ULD and LLD) or just LLD, or none. There is no mention of adjusting them "tightly" to single-out the 511-keV photons. By "none" I mean that only the LLD is set, and it is set just above noise events. This would mean the Compton events and 1274-keV events are not eliminated from the count. By properly setting the ULD and LLD on a good SCA, one can indeed count primarily the 511-keV photons. (There will still be Compton events from the 1274-keV gamma falling in the 511-keV window. Perhaps this is what "analysis #3" is talking about.)

(4) In a more sophisticated experiment, the spectrums from both detectors would be recorded along with coincidence information. During analysis we choose a peak in "spectrum one" then we have the computer show all the events in "spectrum-two" that were in coincidence with the chosen events in "spectrum one." If we choose the 511-keV peak in "spectrum one" then we will see that both the 511-keV and the 1274-keV photons in "spectrum two" often occur in coincidence. If we choose the 1274-keV peak in "spectrum one then "spectrum-two's" 511-keV photon will often be in coincidence, but not the 1274-keV photon. That's because two 1274-keV events could not have come from the same beta-plus decay, and therefore are not coincident except for chance coincidence.

Finding out which photons are coincident is a powerful tool for helping elucidate decay schemes. If angular-correlation data are also obtained, the technique is even more powerful.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive