Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how" questions.

In a message dated 12/23/2010 9:35:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu writes:

On Dec 23, 2010, at 8:59 PM, ludwik kowalski wrote:

Bob Zannelli wrote: "In an absolute sense the why question may have
no answer."

Not when we agree that "why X" is the same as "what caused X." For
example, "why was an explosion in my microwaves owen today?"

And here is a more familiar illustration. Why is a terminal velocity
reached by a parachute? Because of the "air resistance." What is wrong
with this answer in a physics class?

Ludwik

_http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html_
(http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html)

Physics models are based on causal relationships, that's what makes physics
useful (and believable). But the why question something implies the
question as to the purpose something happens and in that sense the why question
is, in my view, a category error in this context. Objects don't fall to
the ground because they desire to be close to the center of the earth as
Aristotle might have asserted, likewise it seems unlikely, based on our current
scientific understanding that the Universe was created to satisfy some
grand plan, anymore than a falling object implies a general love for the
center of the earth. Of course evidence to support the claim of some grand
purpose might turn up. However, it seems to me that currently, all the evidence
points in the opposite direction.

Bob Zannelli