Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:34:50 -0700
From: William Robertson<wrobert9@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how questins."
To: Forum for Physics Educators<phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

They say that there will occasionally be heavy snowfalls. I suppose
you could say that's what the UK is going through right now, but as
someone who, in Colorado, knows all about heavy snowfalls, I wouldn't
classify what the UK is going through as just an anomalous heavy
snowfall. I did read the entire article, and it seems rather alarmist.
Kids in England won't even know what snow is? When scientists overstep
the bounds of science and get involved in sensationalist predictions,
that comes back to bite them in the butt, and it erodes confidence in
science from laypeople.

Because these threads move in so many directions so quickly, I want to
make it clear what I'm concerned about. It's scientists complaining
that there is an anti-intellectual, anti-science bias while
contributing to the problem. Stating that evolution is a fact is one
example. Overstating issues related to AGW is another. I am not
arguing against evolution as a good theory, and I'm not arguing
against AGW per se.

Bill