Re: [Phys-l] internal/external conservative/nonconservative forces!?!?

On 12/15/2010 04:46 PM, Philip Keller wrote:
Overall, I find this thread frustrating. There are two different
issues to face. We can argue pedagogy (which is fine and completely
appropriate for this forum) but I'd like to understand the physics
first and then debate how to teach it. Completely regardless of what
approach may or may not improve my students' paradigm...I'd like to
know for myself: is there a well-founded physics notion of where the
potential energy resides? What experiment reveals this?

I don't feel qualified to make pedagogical choices about material
that I do not understand. I think I know what potential energy is
and how to apply conservation of energy to the standard collection of
problems in a 1st year physics class. But if a student asks me "OK,
where IS the potential energy?" I would not see the point of the
question or why it matters to know such a thing. I would say that it
is not a thing -- don't go looking for it. And I would say that it
has no possible affect on reality if you choose to think it is in the
object or in the system. But apparently, others here say I am wrong.
I'm open to that and ready to be educated (and not for the first
time) by the members here. But I am looking for an answer appeals
to physics rather than pedagogy as its authority.

That's all well said. I particularly like the part about not
getting dogmatic about the pedagogy unless/until one understands
the physics.

I would say to the student:
That is an excellent question. The fact that nobody knows the
answer does not detract from the merit of the question. Richard
Feynman thought it was worth his time to attack this question.
Let's be clear: He tried and failed. So anybody else who fails
to answer this question is in good company. You should keep
asking the question. Maybe eventually somebody -- maybe you --
will figure it out.

More-or-less everybody believes the energy resides in the field
"somewhere" but quantifying it is tricky. Research papers have
been published on this topic within the last year.

The issue matters a great deal in principle, especially for special
relativity and double-especially for general relativity. However,
in this course we are not going to do either of those things, so we
are going to say "hypotheses non fingo". That is to say, we don't
know, and /for present purposes/ we don't need to know. For present
purposes, it suffices to know that E = m h g to a good approximation,
and E = G M m / r to an even better approximation.

The rule is: The laws of physics must say what happens. They may
or may not say how it happens. The fundamental laws rarely (if ever)
say why it happens. This is one of those cases where we do not know
how it happens. We would dearly love to know, but we don't.

It is interesting that a student can ask a perfectly precise question
that nobody knows how to answer.

So ... you come by your frustration honestly. A little frustration
adds spice to life. It's one step removed from the mother of invention.
Maybe it's the aunt.