Re: [Phys-l] A relativity/thermodynamics "dilemma"

On 12/06/2010 10:41 AM, Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:
I've never heard it discussed, but I conclude that "at the same
temperature" is also relative.

It's been discussed. You have correctly "discovered" the
Tolman relation.

In a flat spacetime, equilibrium means the temperature is the
same in equilibrium.

In a curved spacetime, the thing that is the same everywhere
is Tolman's redshifted temperature T √(-g00).

In the weak-field limit, g00 = -(1 + 2Φ) where Φ is the depth
of the gravitational potential.

You can do the math from there.

Reference:
R.C. Tolman
_Relativity, Thermodynamics, and Cosmology_
1934

http://www.google.com/search?q="tolman+relation";