Re: [Phys-l] question about Bernoulli

John Mallinckrodt wrote about how we can relate the pressure with the
density. This is the way I have viewed it and I like it, so I agree
with JM. His posts have clarified things for me.

John Denker seemed to be critical of JM's cause/effect between density
and pressure. As some people know, I agree with JD's concerns about
cause/effect. However, in this case, I don't think JM was necessarily
implying a cause/effect. Rather, it is more that the pressure
distribution must mirror, for the most part, the density distribution.
This gives us a clearer picture of what is happening on the microscale.
In other words, rather than thinking that the particles have a different
velocity along z than along y or x, simply envision how dense the fluids
particles are in a particular region.

Please correct me if this is incorrect.

P.S. William Robertson wrote that the original question was complicated
by the fact that he apparently chose a phenomenon where Bernoulli
doesn't apply. I, for one, think the phenomenon WR presented was
perfect -- as it shows that our intuition about the fluid density
(higher density inside the tube than outside) is better at inferring
pressure differences than blindly assuming that faster always means
higher pressure.

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@po-box.esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq