Re: [Phys-l] question about Bernoulli

On 11/23/2010 08:27 AM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

the component of velocity of the molecules perpendicular to the
pipe walls - was it reduced?

Yes.

and by what mechanism was it reduced?

Particle/particle collisions.

Each collision can be visualized in terms of points on a sphere
in six-dimensional phase space. Ignoring the mass for simplicity,
we have:
v1x^2 + v1y^2 + v1z^2 + v2x^2 + v2y^2 + v2z^2 = E = constant

Each collision will cause the system to random-walk on the
sphere. If every collision were one-dimensional (i.e. zero
impact parameter) we would not have a random walk, but since
the impact parameters are random we do. The energy will soon
be distributed over all the accessible states.