Re: [Phys-l] Richard Dawkins Answers Reddit Questions

At 12:42 +0000 11/21/2010, Dr. Keith S. Taber wrote:

Without wishing to be provocative, as an outsider I don't understand
why fundamentalist Christian religion seems to be so influential in
US education, when so many other aspects of US public life are
clearly influenced very little by Christian values and principles.

That depends on which Christian values and principles you are talking about.

I'm thinking, for example, of the high per capita prison population,
and the use of legal judicial killing in some states (but perhaps
those where the Christian religion is less influential?) - in the
21st Century!

Alas, it seems to be the contrary. In Texas, where fundamentalist Christianity seems to have create a bastion, they have been on a "death penalty binge" for several decades, carrying out more than half of all executions in the US since the reinstatement of the death penalty in the 1970s, including the execution of several for whom there is pretty good evidence that they were innocent of the crimes they were convicted of.

- the apparent keenness to take military action around
the world, the relatively limited provision of public health services
and social welfare compared with many European countries, etc.

Much of the support for the military excursions of the US over the past 50 years has come from the Christian right, as does a significant fraction of the support for our overly permissive attitude on gun ownership, although much of that can be laid at the feet of a massive lobbying effort financed by the major manufacturers of handguns in the US.

I'm
not looking to be critical (I'm not from a country that has a
tremendous history of good behaviour), but if Christianity is really
such an influence, it is either very selective in how it uses that
influence within the public sphere, or is a very distorted (inverted)
version of the teachings of Jesus Christ!

Again, it depends on what interpretation of the gospels one follows. My perception is that much of the attitude of the religious right in this country is based on a reliance on the more bellicose passages of the old testament rather than the more moderate parts of the new testament.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org