From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Marty Weiss [martweiss@comcast.net]
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:44 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Historical trivium

Jersey, Shmersey... The rest of the world doesn't have 8 million people in 8000 sq. mi. with probably 10 million cars!

Incoming traffic will yield only so much. The unwritten rule here is that you should wait at the edge of the circle, then poke into the traffic when you spot a small break. If you stop for too long the people behind you will start honking their horns. So, if the traffic in the circle is slow enough you have to go quickly on any break between cars. But, once you go you are committed so you now have to edge in and get to the inside or outside quickly. If you know you want to go out at the very next quarter turn you have to get to the outside at once or else you are stuck in limbo. Most of the time it's easier to nose in on the outside and stay there even if you have to go all the way around.