Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

Great - now I'm beginning to understand!!!
If there is no water under the box we can't call the upward force Buoyancy even tho it's still equal to the weight of the displaced water.

If we let a monolayer of water seep under the box (but keep it tied down with a thread) we can then call the upward force Buoyancy. Same amount of force - different name. OK.

Thanx Bill - this clears things up nicely.