Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

On 11/3/2010 9:33 AM, Chuck Britton wrote:
(an off-list exchange - posted without permission - hope it's ok)

At 10:14 AM -0400 11/3/10, bennett bennett wrote:
The way I see it, the force of fluid pressure on solid is normal to
the surface at all points, so the anchored pole, (with no water
pushing on the bottom surface), is not lifted by the water on its
side, unless the water is viscous and moving upward.

If there is a notch, the pressure on the non-vertical surfaces of
the notch will stretch only the thin part of the pole, but the up
and down forces will be equal, since the vertical components of the
forces on the surfaces of the notch are equal.

And the way _*I*_ see it is that the top of the (totally) submerged
pole doesn't give a flying-flip what's going on at the bottom of the
pole.
The top of the pole 'wants' to float, and it WILL if given a chance.

How does the complicated contact force at the bottom change what's
going on with the rest of the object??
(Still scratching my head vigorously)

By affecting one of the several orthogonal stresses which may exist in a material? :-)

Brian W