[Phys-l] lights +- pollution

On 10/29/2010 06:31 AM, Karshner, Gary wrote:
The mercury spectrum is rich in UV lines
and these are what drives the fluorescents. With their increase use
the antimercury people are very concerned. Do we want to use less
energy and pollute or use more energy and not?

1) As I learned on this list, a treeemendous amount of mercury
is put into the air by coal-burning power plants. So reducing
energy use reduces pollution of many kinds, including Hg
pollution.

2) I'm hoping LED lights will replace fluorescents.