Re: [Phys-l] Prof. Hal Lewis resigns from APS

There are trillions at stake--but in both directions, loss and gain. Example: Right now there is about a trillion dollars tied up in coal-fired electrical generating plants in the U.S. If drastic action is taken, say a mandate to close all of those plants over the next 10 years, then the cost of replacing them--say with wind for example--would be on the order of $3 trillion (due to the 30% operating efficiency of wind generators). Somebody would profit hugely, but of course the current utilities, their workers, and especially the coal miners and the railroads would be huge losers.

The only direct monetary incentive I can see for the researchers is simply their research funds. How much gets spent if the climate is simply doing its own thing independent of our influence? However, I'm not sure I buy that as enough incentive to 'cook the books.'

It has been reported, but I don't have verification at hand, that Al Gore has gotten very rich over the past 10 years. If true, that provides some evidence that there is a lot of money to be had by being VERY 'GREEN' on the topic.

Basically though, the money aspect here amounts to a redistribution of wealth. [Gee, that seems to be some kind of theme! ;-) ]

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "brian whatcott" <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>

I would very much like to hear some evaluation of the "Trillions of
Dollars" that have completely turned the heads of the global climate
change proponents.

As far as I know, there are two major sources of research funding.
Big government and Big Business.
Big Government seems very luke warm about combating this effect.
And Big (US) Business seems to be positively horrified by the thought:
coal, oil, manufacturing.

The Republicans seem to be accurately reflecting the interests of their
sponsors: they are no less firm in saying No on this topic that on the
many others that the elected congress has proposed.
The Democrats in turn notice that jobs are at risk too. So just who is
providing the trillions? The Chinese? Don't think so.

Brian W