Re: [Phys-l] velocity-dependent mass (or not)

_____________________________________
On 06/23/2009 11:03 AM, David Craig wrote:

I'm astonished anyone is still talking about this, let alone teaching
it. (Having seen how egregious are the treatments of relativity in
many of the standard "modern physics" textbooks, I do in fact know
better than to be surprised. But I am anyway.)

I can't recall meeting ANY professional relativist who employs the
concept of a velocity-dependent mass, with the very occasional
exception of mention as a throwaway heuristic. (I have seen one or
two of the very old guard use it in public talks, though.)

The bottom line is that the concept IS dead among those who actually
do relativity for a living.
John Denker Replied:

Quite so.

Dead for many, many decades.

Just as an interesting illustration I thought I would quote from the Physic syllabus document (revised 2003) that I am required (by law) to teach from:

"**explain qualitatively and quantitatively the consequence of special relativity in relation to:
*the relativity of simultaneity
*the equivalence between mass and energy
*length contraction
*time dilation
*mass dilation

**discuss the implications of mass increase, time dilation and length contraction for space travel

**Solve problems using
* l = l(rest) x sqrt (1 - (v^2/c^2))
* m= m(rest)/sqrt("1- (v^2)/c^2))"
etc

This has kinda forced local textbook writers to discuss velocity dependent mass, which they quite happily do.

Regards

Peter Craft
Head Teacher Science
Corowa High School