Re: [Phys-l] velocity-dependent mass (or not)

On 06/23/2009 11:03 AM, David Craig wrote:

I'm astonished anyone is still talking about this, let alone teaching
it. (Having seen how egregious are the treatments of relativity in
many of the standard "modern physics" textbooks, I do in fact know
better than to be surprised. But I am anyway.)

I can't recall meeting ANY professional relativist who employs the
concept of a velocity-dependent mass, with the very occasional
exception of mention as a throwaway heuristic. (I have seen one or
two of the very old guard use it in public talks, though.)

The bottom line is that the concept IS dead among those who actually
do relativity for a living.

Quite so.

Dead for many, many decades.