[Phys-l] Question about pitch and sustain measurements

Howdy, all,

I'm in the midst of a consulting project with a guy who needs to measure (semi-automatically, if possible), the pitch and sustain of various notes in an instrument. He has access to Cakewalk's SONAR program, with which I have no familiarity (he said he has v. 5; v. 8 is the latest). I'd be very willing to bet that it can measure pitch (or at least frequency), but I'm unsure of its transient measurement capabilities.

My project in grad. school was concerned with resonance characterization, so I have a lot of programs I wrote in Mathematica to very easily extract pitch and sustain (or their equivalents, frequency and Q). However, that's a pretty pricey platform for this sort of thing, and I never had to get it to be real-time.

Do people here happen to know of any Python projects or open-source things (preferably running for Windows, though I could probably port things Linux -> Windows) which would return some well-characterized measurements of pitch and sustain, given "live" microphone readings? Something a bit nicer (or easier for my colleague to understand) than a spectrogram would be nice.

Best wishes, and thanks for any suggestions,
Curtis O.

Down with categorical imperative!
flutzpah@yahoo.com