Re: [Phys-l] some questions related to sampling

John D,

If the time-domain data is the original data, no amount
of Fourier transforms or other math will ever create more
information. There will be no "loaves and fishes" miracle
where you create more just by rearranging things. The
second law of thermodynamics forbids it.

So all we are talking about here are various heuristics for
_interpolating_ between points in the time domain.

Interpolation is easy if you know the original signal was
band-limited before it was sampled ... i.e. no aliasing.

I am confused by the following. I use my own notation, but will follow the nomenclature on the av8n page (referred to earlier in the thread) as much as possible.

Consider a time-domain signal x(t) and its FT, X(f). The sampled version is x(tj) and the DFT is X(fk). Assume at this point that Nt = Nf = N. j = {0...N-1} and k = {0...N-1}.

Let us assert that x(t) is bandlimited, and N is such that we are sampling above the Nyquist rate. We can confirm our assertion by observing that X(f) and X(fk) have no overlapping aliases.

Since x(t) is bandlimited and sampling is above Nyquist rate, we can interpolate between {tj} as much as we like via the sampling theorem, to recover the original signal in its entirety:

x(t) = SUMj [x(tj)*Sinc(t,j)] (see standard references for def of Sinc(t,j))

Now, on the one hand, we can't create something from nothing. To wit, the inverse DFT (IDFT) will only recover the original sample points. But I was sorely tempted to try your nice trick in section 4, leading to Eq 24, but in the reverse direction, to wit:

x(t) = SUMk X(fk)*Exp(+2*pi*i*k*t*df) df

The equation is true for t = tj (it's just the IDFT), but not for any other t. At all other values of t, x(t) is complex by this calculation. So the interpolation fails.

While my intuition isn't surprised by the failed attempt to get something for nothing here, this result is counterintuitive on 2 other counts:

a) it seemed like we got something for nothing with this trick in the f-domain

and

b) the sampling theorem CAN successfully interpolate, since we are bandlimited.

Stefan Jeglinski