Re: [Phys-l] science education goals and strategies

If you reply to this long (22 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

*********************************
ABSTRACT: In response to my post "Re: science education goals and strategies" [Hake (2009)], Dewey Dykstra (2009) made two comments that might be erroneously interpreted as implying that I: (1) think that that "the integrated 'spiral' approach is obviously best for the students"; and (2) blame pre-college teachers the *severe dearth of effective pre-college science/math teachers*. Regarding implication #1, it was Phys-L's John Denker, not I, who claimed that "the integrated 'spiral' approach is obviously best for the students." Regarding implication #2, I have never blamed pre-college teachers but instead have been raising my voice (to deaf ears) for about two decades against the (in Dewey's words) "profound incompetency of the preparation programs for pre-college science/math teachers," witness my:
(a) letters to the editors of "Physics Today" [Hake (1990a) and "Science" [Hake 1990b)];
(b) letter to Indiana Representatives [Hake (1994)];
(c) articles:
"The General Population's Ignorance of Science Related Societal Issues: A Challenge for the University" [Hake (2000],
"Physics First: Opening Battle in the War on Science/Math Illiteracy?" [Hake (2002a)],
"Whence Do We Get the Teachers? (Response to Madison)" [Hake (2002c); and
(d) book chapter "Should We Measure Change? Yes!" [Hake (2008)].
*********************************

In response to my post "Re: science education goals and strategies" [Hake (2009)] Dewey Dykstra made two possibly misleading comments to which I shall respond in order below.
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1. Dewey wrote: "I have clipped some of Richard Hake's note (included below)... First, it seems to be taken as given that 'the integrated "spiral' approach is obviously best for the students. That it is taken as given is disappointing, but not unexpected, from folks conditioned and selected not to look critically at teaching or the outcomes of instruction."

My experience has been that few discussion list subscribers bother to read more than the first few lines of any post [for that reason I have often devoted the first lines of my posts (including this one) to ABSTRACTS]. A more careful wording in Dewey's first lines might have helped to avoid the possible confusion that I am the one who takes for granted that the "spiral" approach is obviously the best for the students. The following wording might have been less prone to misinterpretation:

"Hake (2009) in his post "Re: science education goals and strategies" has quoted John Denker's (2009), statement 'As several people have wisely and accurately pointed out, the integrated 'spiral' approach is obviously best for the students.' That the spiral approach is taken as given is disappointing, but not unexpected, from folks conditioned and selected not to look critically at teaching or the outcomes of instruction. "

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222
2. Dewey wrote (EMPHASIS in the original): "The ample evidence shows that generally NO change in understanding is the result of teaching physics using the widely touted and defended presentation methods. Which leads me to my second point. The oft and long repeated lament over 'THE SEVERE DEARTH OF EFFECTIVE PRE-COLLEGE SCIENCE/MATH TEACHERS'. . . . Why aren't we raising our voices about the PROFOUND INCOMPETENCY OF THE PREPARATION PROGRAMS FOR PRE-COLLEGE SCIENCE/MATH TEACHERS instead of blaming the pre-college teachers?"

Some will probably erroneously assume from the above that in "Re: science education goals and strategies" [Hake (2009)] I blame pre-college teachers. Nothing could be further from the truth. What I wrote was:
" . . my arguments for the support of Physics First are summarized in the abstract of 'Physics First: Opening Battle in the War on Science/Math Illiteracy?' [Hake (2002a)]: 'It is argued that Lederman's 'Physics First' regime, while not an ideal ramp to science/math literacy for all students . . . . ., should nevertheless be vigorously supported as an important opening battle in the full scale war on science/math illiteracy as envisaged by the AAAS 'Project 2061.' This is because a widespread first physics course for *all* ninth graders might: (a) help to overcome some systemic roadblocks to science/math literacy of the general population - MOST IMPORTANTLY THE SEVERE DEARTH OF EFFECTIVE PRE-COLLEGE SCIENCE/MATH TEACHERS. . . . . "

Contrary to Dewey's implication, I have been raising my voice against the "profound incompetency of the preparation programs for pre-college science/math teachers" for about two decades (to deaf ears) in, e.g. :

a. "What Went Unsaid at Physics Chairs Meeting" [Hake (1990a)], wherein I wrote: "physics chairs should address the responsibilities of their own departments to adequately educate prospective pre-college teachers ...(who)... are required to raise the appallingly low level of science literacy among the general population and thereby increase our chances of solving some of the monumental political-economic-scientific problems which beset us."

b. "Ph.D. Production" [Hake (1990b)], wherein I wrote: "Atkinson's complaint [R.C. Atkinson, "Supply and Demand for Scientists and Engineers: A National Crisis in the Making," Science 248, 425 (1990)] that "few professors pay much attention to teacher training programs at their university" should be directed to research universities which "have established a reward structure that severely penalizes the few idiosyncratic professors who work to improve undergraduate education."

c. Letter to the Indiana Representatives [Hake (1994)], wherein I wrote (see the letter for the references): "As repeatedly emphasized for over 30 years by physicist Arnold Arons [7] and more recently by educator John Goodlad [20], and physics Nobel Laureate Kenneth Wilson [21], the crucial need is for the proper education and professional development of all teachers over long time periods extending from their early education on into their professional years. In my opinion, such bolstering of the teaching profession must at least proceed in parallel with programs such as 'Goals 2000', the AAAS 'Project 2061: Science for All Americans,' and the National Science Teachers Association 'Scope, Sequence, and Coordination' (SSC). It might be thought that the dire need [2-21] to improve the quality of teacher education and education generally at all levels would finally become a high priority matter for research universities. Twenty years ago physicist Fred Reif [22] then at Berkeley, wrote: 'Universities must be willing to face the challenge, worthy of the role of a university, of devoting to education the kind of searching thought commonly bestowed on scientific and engineering fields, and of promoting the translation of new ideas into practice.' Unfortunately, research universities throughout the country *have almost totally ignored this challenge*."

d. "The General Population's Ignorance of Science Related Societal Issues: A Challenge for the University" [Hake (2000], based on an earlier libretto with the leitmotiv: "The road to U.S. science literacy begins with effective university science courses for pre-college teachers." The opera dramatizes the fact that the failure of universities *throughout the universe* to properly educate pre-college teachers is responsible for our failure to observe any signs of extraterrestrial (and even terrestrial) intelligence.

e. "Physics First: Opening Battle in the War on Science/Math Illiteracy?" [Hake (2002a)] wherein I wrote: "Among important roadblocks to science/math literacy are, in my opinion, the following: . . . . . . . . .[the above four roadblocks,]. . . challenging as they are, will be far easier to overcome than the fifth and most formidable: THE DEARTH OF EFFECTIVE P-12 SCIENCE/MATH TEACHERS. . . . . Among steps that might be taken for alleviating the current shortage of *effective* teachers are . . . . 1. Motivate universities to discharge their obligations to. . . .adequately educate prospective K-12 teachers. . . . . . .

f. "Whence Do We Get the Teachers? (Response to Madison)" [Hake( 2002c)], wherein I wrote [bracketed by lines "HHHHHH. . . ."; see that article for the references; my insert at ". . . . [insert]. . . ."]:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
A major problem with the Benezet Method (1935/36), as well as any other curriculum reform . . . .[e.g., Physics First]. . . , has been well stated by the late Arnold Arons (2000): "Whence do we get the teachers with the background, understanding, and security to implement such. . .(Benezet-type. . . .[or Physics-First-type]. . . instruction? They will certainly not emerge from the present production mills. . ." In my opinion, the enhancement of K-12 teaching should be the FIRST priority of education reform (Hake 2001b,c,d). Sherman Stein (1997) hit the nail on the head:

"The first stage in the reform movement should have been to improve the mathematical knowledge of present and prospective elementary teachers. Unfortunately, the cart of curriculum reform has been put before the horse of well-prepared teachers. In fact, not a single article on the subject of the mathematical preparation of teachers has appeared in "The Mathematics Teacher" since the second Standards volume was published. Because the AMS and MAA presumably agree with those twelve most crucial pages . . .(pages 132-143 of "Professional Standards for Teaching Mathematics (1991)". . . these organizations should persuade mathematics departments to implement the recommendations made there. If all teachers were mathematically well prepared, I for one would stop worrying about the age-old battle still raging between "back to basics" and "understanding". On the other hand, if mathematics departments do nothing to improve school mathematics, they should stop complaining that incoming freshmen lack mathematical skills." (Stein's comments apply as well to science education reform.)
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

g. "Should We Measure Change? Yes!" [Hake (2008)], the abstract of which is: ". . . . I argue that this irrational bias. . . .[against formative pre/post testing]. . . impedes a much needed enhancement of student learning in higher education. I then review . . . . . . HIGHER EDUCATION'S resistance to change and its related FAILURE TO IMPROVE THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS. . . . . ."

BTW:

1. Denker's claim that "the integrated 'spiral' approach is obviously best for the students," was contested on Phys-L by John M. (Texas) Clement (2009a,b).

2. The "spiral approach" is not ALL bad. For example, the late Arnold Arons (1983) wrote [bracketed by lines "AAAAA. . . . ."]; "*.........*" indicates emphasis in the original; my inserts at ". . . .[insert]. . . .]:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Experience with learning difficulties encountered by students in introductory science courses suggests the existence of a number of basic patterns (or processes) of thinking and reasoning which underlie almost all learning and understanding. It is my conviction that helping students become explicitly conscious of those patterns, and giving them *repeated* opportunity to practice and exercise such modes of thought in successive, *different* contexts of subject matter, greatly enhances their grasp of concepts and principles as indicated by gradually improving ability to analyze physical phenomena and to make predictions in new and altered situations. In other words, helping students cultivate reasoning processes such as those to be described in this paper increases their capacity to learn still more. . . . . . . . .It must be emphasized, however, that *repetition* is an absolutely essential feature of such instruction - repetition *not* with the same exercises or in the same context but in continually altered and enriched context. . . Experience with the modes of reasoning I will be illustrating must be spread out over weeks and months and must be returned to in new contexts after the germination made possible by elapsed time. Starting with only a few students being successful, each repetition or recycling sees an additional percentage of the class achieving success, usually a leveling off somewhat below 100% of the total after approximately five cycles. . . . [According to Jim Minstrell (private communication), Arons calls his 5-cycle rule the "rule of hand," rather than the "rule of thumb."]. . . . . .(These are empirical facts which I have observed but for which I have no explanation.)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

For more of the wisdom of Arnold Arons see the AJP rejected :-( "The Arons Advocated Method" [Hake (2004)].

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>

. . . I know from both experience and research that the teacher is at the heart of student learning and school improvement by virtue of being the classroom authority and gatekeeper for change. Thus the preparation, induction, and career development of teachers remain the Archimedian lever for both short- and long-term improvement of public schools."
Larry Cuban. 2003. "Why Is It So Hard To Get Good Schools?" Teachers College Press.