Re: [Phys-l] a different kind of math background quiz

The following does *not* answer the question that was
asked ... but list members may find it amusing and/or
useful anyway.

I found it amusing, and perhaps it would indeed be helpful in trying to judge the core competency of students coming into a class, hence useful.

There are several easy ways of doing step (3). Often
folks who are pleased to accomplish step (3) drop the
ball on step (4).

In fact, I did drop that ball :-)

After decoding your scheme, I muttered to myself "well yes, of course, don't bother me with trivialities," but the point is well-taken.

For one thing, I fantasize about showing it to the math
teachers and saying it would be nice if the students
could answer all these questions ... answer them them
easily, in less time than it takes to ask the questions
... but often they can't.

To answer the questions at all is a sensible goal. Who cares of the comparison between the time to ask and the time to solve, much the "ease." Even in the "real world," this should rarely be a criterion for success or knowledge, although I acknowledge the practicality of clear quick thinking. Looked at another way, if students were already educated/skilled, why the need to teach? After learning the skills gained from these exercises, *then* it might be appropriate to expect more speed/insight toward similar or new problems.

As to the question "Is there anything we can do about this?": Perhaps I am cynical; I'm not even a teacher, so I may not even have standing to attempt an answer, but it was not the case for me, nor have I met many of my ilk who would disagree, that I learned most if not all of my "important" math as a part of taking the physics classes. If I may advance an [inappropriate] analogy, the Taliban will never attempt a conventional war because they know better; they are quite happy, if not successful, mounting a guerilla insurgency.

Be all that as it may, is there a name of the class of problem or formulation posed in question 7? I would like to read an expanded critique (history perhaps, etc). I was surprised that I came to the answer as quickly as I did, having sometimes struggled with seemingly simple problems of that sort. But further noodling led me to the question/result of what happens when one replaces the 6s with 0s (or more appropriately, epsilons -> 0s). There appears to be an interesting twist (perhaps only to me!) that I would like to read more about at the feet of those who know more than me, but I couldn't figure out how to google for it :-)

Stefan Jeglinski