Re: [Phys-l] Advice from a veteran teacher?

Certainly the rocks were radioactive -- the yellow one was carnotite, the others various uranium, thorium, etc. minerals. That old perfectly legal to have (grandfathered or presently insignificant quantity**). Did you try replacing the batteries -- I suspect the only prob. w/ the G-M survey meter.

http://www.atomicrocks.com/html/rules.html

http://www.atomicrocks.com/html/minerals.html

bc collected carnotite encrusted fossils. (ca. 1953)