[Phys-l] Mercury barometers

Hi all;

We have two mercury barometers hanging up in a store room, one is more than 25 years old (older than my career!), the other about 20 years old.
From two different sources I have been told a) that the things have
mercury exposed directly to the air so we should get rid of them because of mercury poisoning and b) no need to worry, the mercury is covered either with a thin layer of oil or some kind of diaphragm that prevents direct exposure. Does anyone know how I could go about figuring this out (the reservoir at the bottom is not visible in the older one and in the newer one you can see the reservoir but there is a casing making it impossible to see if/how it is sealed)?

kyle

"The modern conservative is engaged in one
of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy;
that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
- John Kenneth Galbraith

kyle forinash kforinas@ius.edu -----------------------------------------