Re: [Phys-l] Student engagement

I think that it is not an either or, but a combination. Twin studies have
shown that identical twins raised apart under different circumstances often
are more similar that twins raised together. So there is some kind of
natural or inherited tendency. But twins raised together develop completely
different aptitudes. I knew a lady who was very poor at winning card games,
but her identical twin sister was a card shark.

So I would say the "or" after natural and the "or" before inclination should
be "and". I would also give the acquired part a 50-50 influence or greater.
I would agree that the definition lines up with most peoples preconceptions,
so in that sense it is accurate.

The US is a country where there are a large number of people who believe
that what you inherit is your destiny and that IQ is just inherited. But in
China teachers have the completely opposite belief. It has been observed
that a student may stand at the board working until they get the drawing
right, while the other students and teacher encourage them. The student at
the board understands that they can do it, so they keep on trying.

But I will agree that a teacher really must take the position that nurture
is the important factor, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
Actually dyslexia, which is often treated as extenuating, can be a help in
science because dyslexics have to connect rather than just memorize to
learn.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

That depends on your definition of aptitude.

Merriam Webster's Medical Dictionary defines aptitude as:

"a natural or acquired capacity or ability; especially : a tendency,
capacity, or inclination to learn or understand"

If you take the "natural" definition, I will argue that with you to my
last breath.