Re: [Phys-l] Lagrange points

John C. - thanks for bringing up this fascinating topic and this example of 'popularization' of physics.
and thank you John M. for your reply.

I would see this as a 'teachable moment' for a physics class but NOT as a condemnation of the Time article. We need MORE Time articles such as this.

In HS (or earlier even) I would often be attracted to adult 'arguments' on physics type stuff.
One such topic was the origin of the TWO tidal lobes. 'Centrifugal Force' seemed to be the convincing idea.

Lots of handwaving by graduate chem engineers. No General Relativity arguments.
'Balancing' gravity doesn't have to necessarily require equal and opposite forces.

I'd ask a student or interested adult what the result of TOTALLY balancing the forces could be expected to produce in an orbital situation.

In general - I'm of the opinion that 'Puristic Fundamentalism' doesn't help pedagogy.