Re: [Phys-l] The Cosmological Constant from Ricci Dark Energy

In a message dated 11/15/2009 7:44:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
betwys1@sbcglobal.net writes:

Spinozalens@aol.com wrote:
We see that the Hubble radius is expanding into the De Sitter Horizon
and
that under these simple assumptions the end state for any Hubble volume
is
a timeless De Sitter Universe. Of course whether such a state is stable
or
not is an open question. This prediction has several problems including
the issue of Boltzmann brains.

Bob Zannelli

I think at this stage, the issue of the Boltzmann brains is probably
settled.
But branes - that's another matter! :-)

Brian W

Brian this issue of Boltzmann brains relates to the problem of an eternal
De Sitter space. An interesting but speculative model has been proposed by
Sean Carroll and his grad student Chen which postulate that regions of De
Sitter space can tunnel into new Universes making this whole scenario quite
attractive philosophically, though of course that is no scientific
criteria. Some theorists think the whole a De Sitter space volume will decay into
something else altogether. See below

Bob Zannelli

_More Boltzman Brain Problems_
(http://theeternaluniverse.blogspot.com/2009/07/more-boltzman-brain-problems.html)

I was looking for new theoretical cosmology papers on arxiv.org today and
saw there were a few on issues relating to Boltzmann Brains.

Basically here's the problem:
1. There are, and always will be, only finitely many energy sources
necessary to support the kind of intelligent life that progresses up through
a long evolutionary path. (These sources are basically stars.)
2. This means the number of such "real observers" has to be finite
regardless of the age of the universe.
3. De-Sitter space has thermal fluctuations that create a very small
but non-zero probability that intelligent life will spring from the vacuum
long enough to make an observation.
4. Given our De-Sitter space seems it will expand forever, the number
or Boltzmann brains will dwarf the number of "real observers" like
irrationals dwarf rational numbers. (Let's leave countablity out of this, just
needed some sort of analogy. Also, "real observers" are finite, unlike rational
numbers.)
5. Firstly, this is weird to think there should be more Bolzmann
Brains that normal observers.
6. Second, it is highly improbable if you are intelligent life that
you are not a Bolzman brain, so given the life on our planet seems to be
"real observers" we are a huge anomaly. Again weird.
Now, scientists don't like the above so some try to find ways of getting
rid of Bolzman Brains. The papers today discussed things like the universe
having a half life of 20 billion years with the de-Sitter space decaying.
Then there is a cutoff where there isn't enough time for Bolzmann Brains to
pop into existence.

Now, I don't do this kind of research since it is too crazy. But someone
like me always gets a kick out of reading such papers. It's like science
junk food that actually in some cases passes peer review. (However, in their
defense, Bolzman Brains may someday be a technical hiccup that leads to
important new physics.)