Re: [Phys-l] use of lgarithms

Thanks John - you have basically removed the units of distance on both sides by dividing by ul, thereby making the equation non-dimensional so the logarithm can be applied. The ut^2/ut^2 leaves the equation unaffected. Slick!

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Mallinckrodt
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:31 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] use of lgarithms

Here are two possible ways of thinking about it.

1. First of all it is important to note that one simply cannot take
the log of something like "10 meters." If you think you can, then
tell me if the result is the same as the log of "1000 cm." So you
are already implicitly dealing with the units in the following manner:

Rewrite the equation x = (1/2)gt^2 as

x/ul = (g/2)/(ul/ut^2) * (t/ut)^2

where ul and ut are arbitrary units of length and time. For
instance, you might choose ul = 1 meter and ut = 1 sec, but any other
choice would also work. Now you can take the logs. What you get is
really nothing more than what you are actually already doing,

log(x/ul) = 2 log(t/ut) + log[(g/2)/(ul/ut^2)]

2. Alternatively, consider the act of finding the slope by hand. You
pick two points on the best fit straight line and find

slope = [log(x2) - log(x1)] / [log(t2) - log(t1)] = log (x2/x1) /
log(t2/t1)

In other words, the process of finding the slope involves taking the
logs of unitless *ratios* of lengths and times so there is no problem.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona