Re: [Phys-l] DATA, FACTS, LAWS, THEORIES

At 16:06 -0400 10/18/2009, ludwik kowalski wrote:

1) Evolution is a theory explaining many facts recognized by biologists. Dawkins, on the other hand, according to the above, states that evolution is a fact. Yes, I know that the term 'fact' can refer to different things in common language. That is why scientists must first agree on definitions of basic terms.

2) This paragraph is another illustration of the same thing. I suggest that the term "fact" should refer to validated data (accepted by most practitioners), not to anything else. Likewise, I suggest that the term "law" refers to nothing else than a generalizations of facts.

I will admit that I cringed a bit when I saw a video in which Dawkins used that phrase, but if one looks at "evolution" as a term simply meaning "change over time," then it seems much more reasonable to assert that evolution is a fact. The observed fossil record is clear--by whatever method one can imagine the fact is that species have changed over time. Now when one extends the idea to "evolution by natural selection," then we have moved into the realm of theory (beyond hypothesis, since evolution by natural selection is a synthesis of an overwhelming body of evidence) or model by which we explain how the "fact" of evolution came about.

It isn't clear from Dawkins' comments if he does mean evolution in its more simple sense, or in its more complete and common meaning. I'm sure however, that if questioned about it, he would either modify his comment or clarify his definition of evolution to conform to the standards we are discussing here.

His insistence on using the word "fact" is, I believe, more of a rhetorical device than a logical one. He is trying to emphasize that, based on the overwhelming evidence and the interlocking methods by which evolution is taken to occur, evolution by natural selection is as close to a "fact" as almost anything scientific can be. The idea is over 150 years old, and all of the evidence so far developed supports it fully. This is a rather long lifetime for a theory to stand in the modern world, where challenging a prevalent idea is a widely accepted scientific activity. After all, few scientists are going to go down in history for confirming Darwin's work, it is the ones who successfully upset that apple cart who will be remembered.

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org