Re: [Phys-l] Breaking a wine glass

I had no traction with this at all until, upon the suggestion of a colleague (Sam Sampere) at Syracuse University, I tried beakers instead of a wine glass. Those work quite nicely. Each one is a little different, though. It helps to scan beforehand looking for the resonance with either a mike or resting a pencil on top.

Sometimes it's still a little work. I keep several beakers on hand so I can try another if the first doesn't go.

David Craig

<http://web.lemoyne.edu/~craigda/>