[Phys-l] practicing2

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP

1) I plan to create a Google Group list and use it to discuss a topic that has nothing to do with science. But before doing this I want to gain experience with managing a google list. In particular, I want to make sure that my instructions on how to subscribe, unsubscribe and contribute (by email only) are clear. I also want to make sure that people with different email accounts have no difficulties with these three kinds of activity. Perhaps all works fine with some kinds of accounts only. To find out I just created a temporary list named "practicing2." This list will be deleted after I gain confidence in being a list manager.

To help me, please try to subscribe, contribute and unsubscribe to my list. I will really appreciate this. Let me know what was not clear, or what did not work as described. In the first posted message let me know how long did it take to receive a confirmation message from google (after subscribing).

2) Functionally my list will be similar to physL. I think that some teachers might wish to experiment with such easy-to-create lists, for example, one for each class, one for all teachers in a school, etc. I will summarize my experience; this might be useful to other beginners.

*) Wait for the email confirmation from google (usually less than an hour)
*) Compose the reply, as instructed, and send it.
*) That will makes you a subscriber.

2) To unsubscribe:
*) Wait for the email confirmation from google (usually less than an hour),
*) Compose the reply, as instructed, and send it.
*) That will unsubscribe you.
*) You can subscribe later, if you wish.

3) Posting a message:
*) Google recognizes subscribers by their email addresses. Your address must always be same as that under which you subscribed. This reminder is important for people with several email acconts.
*) As usually, messages are organized into threads (also called topics). A subscriber can either start a new topic (thread) or make a cotribution to a topic being discussed.
*) To make a contribution to a discussed topic simply press the "reply" button.
*) A new topic must be posted as an email message to be sent to:

practicing2@googlegroups.com

Enter the name of the topic (into the subject line), compose your message, and send it.

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher
5 Horizon Road, Apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/