Re: [Phys-l] Building Research into the Curriculum: Effective Introductory Lab Courses

If you reply to this long (17 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

**************************************
ABSTRACT: John Belcher, in a PhysLrnR wrote (slightly edited): "I am on a panel discussion on 'Building Research into the Curriculum: Effective Introductory Lab Courses' at an upcoming Amherst conference 'Best Practices in Science Education.' If you know of literature references or have your own opinions/experience with this topic, could you share them with me?" In my opinion, one of the best discussions on effective introductory lab courses is "Guiding Insight and Inquiry in the Introductory Physics Laboratory" [Arons (1993)]. Unfortunately Arons is much cited by seldom read, and will probably be ignored by those who convene at the Amherst conference.
**************************************

John Belcher (2008), in his PhysLrnR post titled "Building Research into the Curriculum: Effective Introductory Lab Courses" wrote [bracketed by lines "BBBB. . . ."; my inserts at ". . . .[insert]. . . . .":

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
I am on a panel discussion at a one day conference. . . .["Best Practices in Science Education: Retaining Science and Engineering Undergraduates, Sustaining the S & E Workforce". . . . ] on June 24th at the UMass Amherst on "Building Research into the Curriculum: Effective Introductory Lab Courses". . . . . I would like to be as comprehensive as possible. If you know of literature references or have your own opinions/experience with this topic, could you share them with me?. . . . [According to the conference overview <http://www.nsm.umass.edu/conf08/>:]. . . . "The conference seeks to respond to a serious problem: a large percentage of students who enter college interested in S & E disciplines switch to other majors, while the number of job opportunities in S & E fields has quadrupled"
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

In my opinion, one of the best literature references on introductory lab courses is "Guiding Insight and Inquiry in the Introductory Physics Laboratory" [Arons (1993)]. Therein Arons wrote [EMPHASIS in the original].:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
The usefulness and effectiveness of the introductory laboratory have been bones of contention in physics teaching as far as one goes back in the literature. . . . . .The most common objectives explicitly voiced in connection with the introductory physics laboratory. . . . .are: (1) to verify or confirm laws, relations, or regularities asserted in text, class, or lecture; (2) to have some experience with actual physical phenomena; (3) to have the experience of, and develop some skill in, handling instruments and making significant measurements; (4) to have the experience of planning and doing experiments and thus encountering some of the "process of science"; (5) to learn something about minimizing error and about the treatment and interpretation of experimental data. All of these are, to some reasonable extent, legitimate and desirable objectives. . . . . . .
It is quite apparent, however, that in the widespread implementation of laboratory instruction ostensibly based on these objectives, the students still emerge with levels of insight and achievement deprecatingly described in the literature. . . . [see the article for Arons's 8 references]. . . and with little more than what Whitehead describes as "inert ideas," i.e., "ideas that are merely received into the mind without being utilized, or tested, or thrown into fresh combination [Whitehead (1929, 1965)]. What can be done to help students to deeper understanding to deeper understanding through utilizing, or testing, and throwing into fresh combination the ideas they encounter in the laboratory? I wish to suggest that we might make at least some progress in this direction by GUIDING students into utilizing one or more of [these] criss-crossing and overlapping modes of inquiry:
1. Observing phenomena qualitatively and interpreting observations.

2. Forming concepts as a result of observations.

3. Building and testing abstract models in the light of observation and concept formation.

4. Subjecting a piece of equipment to close examination in context, figuring out how it works and how it might be used (rather than simply being TOLD how it works and what it is supposed to do.

5. Deciding what to do with a piece of equipment, as well as deciding how many measurements to make and how to handle and present the data.

6. Asking or pursuing "How so we know......? Why do we believe......? What is the evidence for.......?" questions inherently associated with a given experiment.

7. Explicitly discriminating between observation and inference in interpreting the results of experiments and observations.

8. Doing general hypothetical-deductive reasoning (asking and addressing "What will happen if?" questions) in connection with laboratory situations. This includes visualizing outcomes in extreme or limiting conditions, and, where, possible, forming an a priori hypothesis and then testing it by performing an appropriately designed experiment.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
It has long been clear that tightly structured and directed laboratory experiments are dull and demoralizing for the students and generate little in the way of concept development or physical understanding. It is also clear that the other extreme of completely unstructured situations, in which the students are supposed to conduct their own observations, inquiry, and final synthesis, are also ineffective [Spears & Zollman (1997)]. . . . . . . . . . .

The problem is to provide students with enough Socratic guidance to lead them into thinking and forming of insights but not so much as to give everything away and thus destroy the attendant intellectual experience. . . . . .

The difficulties experienced by students in mastering the Law of Inertia and the concept of "force" and the robust preconceptions with which they approach mechanical phenomena have been extensively discussed in the literature and are widely appreciated by teachers. Qualitative hands-on experience in the laboratory furnishes an effective way of helping many students overcome these difficulties. Examples of the questions students can be led to address through such experience are given in Sections 3.10 through 3.12 of Arons (1990). . . .[the Sections are the same in Arons (1997)]. . . . . and a Socratically oriented laboratory aimed at the same objectives is described in considerable detail by Hake (1992). Such sequences illustrate application of modes of inquiry #1 and #2 in the list given above. Hypothetico-deductive reasoning (item 8) can now be invoked by asking "What will happen if.......? questions concerning situations that the students must imagine and deal with in the abstract. Finally, students should be asked to distinguish explicitly between the observations that were made and the inferences drawn, illustrating application of mode 7.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Unfortunately, Arons (1990, 1997) is much cited but little read, and will probably be ignored by the experts who convene at the upcoming Amherst conference on "Best Practices in Science Education."

For tributes to Arons see Hake (2004) and Jossem (2008).

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>

I am deeply convinced that a statistically significant improvement would occur if more of us
learned to listen to our students....By listening to what they say in answer to to carefully phrased,
leading questions, we can begin to understand what does and does not happen in their minds,
anticipate the hurdles they encounter, and provide the kind of help needed to master a concept or
line of reasoning without simply "telling them the answer."....Nothing is more ineffectually
arrogant than the widely found teacher attitude that 'all you have to do is say it my way, and no
one within hearing can fail to understand it.'....Were more of us willing to relearn our physics by
the dialog and listening process I have described, we would see a discontinuous upward shift in the
quality of physics teaching. I am satisfied that this is fully within the competence of our
colleagues; the question is one of humility and desire.
Arnold Arons (1974)

REFERENCES [Tiny URL's courtesy <http://tinyurl.com/create.php>.]

Arons, A.B. 1977. "The Various Language: An Inquiry Approach to the Physical Sciences; with Teacher's Guide." Oxford University Press. Amazon.com information at <http://tinyurl.com/3k9m3r>.

Arons, A.B. 1990. "A Guide to Introductory Physics Teaching." Wiley. Now superseded by Arons (1997). See also Arons (1977).

Arons, A.B. 1993. "Guiding Insight and Inquiry in the Introductory Physics Laboratory," Phys. Teach. 31(5): 278-282; online to subscribers at
<http://scitation.aip.org/dbt/dbt.jsp?KEY=PHTEAH&Volume=31&Issue=5>.

Arons, A.B. 1997. "Teaching Introductory Physics." Wiley. Contains a slightly updated version of Arons (1990), plus "Homework and Test Questions for Introductory Physics Teaching" plus a new monograph "Introduction to Classical Conservation Laws." Amazon.com information at <http://tinyurl.com/4dueqt>, Note the "Search Inside" feature.

Belcher, J. 2008. "Building Research into the Curriculum: Effective Introductory Lab Courses," PhysLrnR post of 25 May 2008 08:26:39-0400; online at <http://tinyurl.com/3nlqoj>. To access the archives of PhysLnR one needs to subscribe, but that takes only a few minutes by clicking on <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/physlrnr.html> and then clicking on "Join or leave the list (or change settings)." If you're busy, then subscribe using the "NOMAIL" option under "Miscellaneous." Then, as a subscriber, you may access the archives and/or post messages at any time, while receiving NO MAIL from the list!

Hake, R.R. 2004. "The Arons Advocated Method," submitted to Am. J. Phys. on 24 April 2004; online at <http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/AronsAdvMeth-8.pdf> (144 kB). Rejected by a referee who stated
"The title 'Arons-advocated method' is neither dignified nor appropriate. Arons did not advocate the 'method' the author ascribes to him. Referring to 'principles' would be preferable."

Jossem, E.L. 2008. "Turning points in physics education: Arnold Arons, physicist and physics teacher, played a pivotal role in the postwar development of physics education," Physics Today 61(5): 72-73; online to subscribers at
<http://ptonline.aip.org/journals/doc/PHTOAD-ft/vol_61/iss_5/72_1.shtml>.

Hake, R.R. 1992. "Socratic pedagogy in the introductory physics lab," Phys. Teach. 30(9): 546-552; updated version (4/27/98) online at <http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/SocPed1.pdf> (88 kB). See also Hake (2007, 2008)

Hake, R.R. 2007. "The Socratic Method of the Historical Socrates, Plato's Socrates, and the Law School's Socrates," online at <http://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0706&L=pod&P=R12261&I=-3>. Post of 21 Jun 2007 13:43:05-0700 to AERA-J, AERA-L, Phys-L, & PhysLrnR.

Hake, R.R. 2008. "Design-Based Research in Physics Education Research: A Review," in
Kelly, Lesh, & Baek (2008); a prepublication version of Hake's chapter, primarily on "Socratic Dialogue Inducing Labs, " is online at <http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/DBR-Physics3.pdf> (1.1 MB).

Kelly, A.E., R.A. Lesh, J.Y. Baek. 2008. "Handbook of Design Research Methods in Education: Innovations in Teaching." Routledge Education; publisher's information at <http://tinyurl.com/4eazqs>: "This "Handbook" presents the latest thinking and current examples of design research in education. Design-based research involves introducing innovations into real-world practices (as opposed to constrained laboratory contexts) and examining the impact of those designs on the learning process. Designed prototype applications (e.g., instructional methods, software or materials) and the research findings are then cycled back into the next iteration of the design innovation in order to build evidence of the particular theories being researched, and to positively impact practice and the diffusion of the innovation. The "Handbook of Design Research Methods in Education"-- THE defining book for the field -- fills a need in how to conduct design research by those doing so right now. The chapters represent a broad array of interpretations and examples of how today's design researchers conceptualize this emergent methodology across areas as diverse as educational leadership, diffusion of innovations, complexity theory, and curriculum research."

Spears, J. & D. Zollman. 1977. "The influence of structured versus unstructured laboratory on students' understanding of process of science," J. Res. Sci. Teach. 14(1): 33-38. A short ERIC abstract is online at <http://tinyurl.com/63hxdd>: "College physics students' understanding of the process of science, as measured by the Science Process Inventory, was better for students in a traditional, structured laboratory than in an inquiry laboratory that covered the same experiments."

Whitehead, A.N. 1967. "The Aims of Education." Free Press. [First published in 1929 by Oxford University Press.] Amazon.com information at <http://tinyurl.com/4qnrhj>. Note the "Search Inside" feature.