Re: [Phys-l] entropy and electric motors

At 03:45 PM 5/22/2008, Kyle, you wrote:

Does anyone know (or can point me to an explanation) of how the 2nd law
applies to electric motors and generators?

I think I understand how the 2nd law applies to heat engines and I have
an elementary understanding of entropy as it relates to chemical
reactions. These applications explain why heat engines and fuel cell
efficiencies cannot be 100%. I assume the 2nd law applies somehow to
motors and generators but how do you find the theoretical limit for
them? (I know this is quite high since electric motors with 95%
efficiency are already available.)

kyle

When I stood in the steam engine hall of the Science Museum a week or two ago,
admiring James Watt's efforts, it was salutary that his great improvements
in thermal efficiency resulted in monsters of several tons weight providing
a few HP.
This energy conversion is in stark contrast to the energy transfers involved
in a tuned circuit which can provide quality factors in the thousands
(you will also recall that the timing elements of clocks to which bc recently alluded
could also reach a Q > 1000 with considerable design effort).

The electric motor is somewhat comparable to the tuned circuit, in that the motor too
is in the business of converting electrical to magnetic forces. Like the tuned circuit
and the pendulum, the motor can have very small limiting losses - in this case,
the bearings and the air drag involved.
The tuned circuit is distinguished by the capability of processing exciting signals
smaller than the amplitude of the ambient thermal electrical noise in fact.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!