[Phys-l] entropy and electric motors

Does anyone know (or can point me to an explanation) of how the 2nd law applies to electric motors and generators?

I think I understand how the 2nd law applies to heat engines and I have an elementary understanding of entropy as it relates to chemical reactions. These applications explain why heat engines and fuel cell efficiencies cannot be 100%. I assume the 2nd law applies somehow to motors and generators but how do you find the theoretical limit for them? (I know this is quite high since electric motors with 95% efficiency are already available.)

kyle

"When applied to material things,
the term "sustainable growth" is an oxymoron."
Albert Bartlett

kyle forinash 812-941-2039
kforinas@ius.edu
http://Physics.ius.edu/