Re: [Phys-l] images in eye

One interesting sidenote is that people who were sighted, but are now blind can have their sight sort of restored. They project the image onto the skin and after a while the mind generates the image in the brain. They describe it as seeing again, in a fuzzy fashion. Typically the image is projected on the most sensative part of the body, the tongue. So the brain is very flexible in re-encoding sensory information.

John M. Clement
Houston, Tx

From: Anthony Lapinski <Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:23:03 AM

Many were surprised to learn
that the images on their retina are also inverted. Our brains somehow make
us see things normally. I figure it's complicated, but does anyone know
the exact mechanism by which the brain "flips" these retinal images so
that we see them as upright? Did evolution play any role in this?

The brain doesn't flip the image back over. There is no "inner you" that looks at the image made by the retina.
Further the bundle of nerves in optic nerve don't maintain orientation as it takes the information to the brain. The brain just gets a muddle, but that's okay. The brain learns as you learn to see that a particular sets of sensory responses corresponds to particular things seen. This method is very flexible since it allows you to make sense of objects and events without having to have those objects built into your genome. On the other hand, it does mean that you need time to learn to make sense of these senory impressions, which can take years.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay