Re: [Phys-l] failure is always an option

The statistics are no surprise to me. I taught at UNC-Chapel Hill and now am at Rice University, and I have a lot of friends at UH-Housto a lower tier state university.

I think there are three main variables that contribute to higher graduation rates at "elite" universities:

1. higher academic aptitude, I don't believe that SATs are magic, but in general students with higher SATS are better able to handle college courses and elite schools have higher average SATs

2. higher SES families, families that have more financial resources are more likely to support students through crises of major/grad school etc. More selective universities admit more students from higher SES families.

3. financial support. Elite schools offer more financial support of various kinds (loans, scholarships, work-study). At Rice many students who enter with family support for them to be pre-med, change their minds and since they have scholarships rather than being dependent on family finances are able to switch rather than cave-in or drop out. I suspect that at other universities those students are forced to drop out. It would be very interesting, and a VERY hard study to track where those students end up.

--
Richard E. Grandy
Professor