Re: [Phys-l] failure is always an option

Date: Tue May 06 10:13:20 CDT 2008
From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>
Subject: [Phys-l] failure is always an option
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

So, before you look at the numbers, would you like to guess?

-- What are typical 4-year persistence numbers?
I wonder if they stuck strictly to 4 years or if it was in the time allotted for their program. One of my friends is enrolled at Rochester IT and he knew it was a 5-year going in.

Either way, that said, I am going to say it is extremely low, especially including transfers and people who take 5 years, not just dropouts. I would say maybe 35-45% complete their course of study in 4 years.

-- What is the overall range, from lowest to highest?
Maybe as low as 20% and as high as 75-80%

-- Which schools are highest?
Harvard, MIT, Monmouth probably have the highest completion rate.

-- Which are lowest?
Arizona, UC Santa Cruz,

-- Where does your school fit in?
Sadly, I think my school is probably pretty bad with this. Although, as John pointed out, these numbers aren't exactly indicative of dropout rate. For instance, I know I would qualify as a dropout because I went to school and then served and then came back and started school again. Did I "drop out?" I suppose technically, but who cares? I learned other valuable lessons in my time in...I don't think that should be counted as a "negative."