Re: [Phys-l] Sparks

Chuck!

I don't think the molten metal is the spark, as I wrote in my second post of May six, the spark is a transient discharge. the molten metal is the tip of the electrode that failed to vaporize and then ionize.

Not incidentally this is similar to the mechanism* of the sparking initiated by the intense heating of the thin Al coating on a CD or DVD by the microwaves in an oven. The circular paths are due either to the metal being thinner there, flaws, cracks, etc; or the heating greater because of differences in the dielectric backing. Bill Beaty studied similar sparking due to high current densities in thin carbon film resistors, wherein the spark occurred at slight differences in thickness, cracks, etc.

Beaty referred me to this similar study:

http://ijd.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/10/3/195

* which I proposed independently in a thread on, was it microwave mischief?

bc

p.s. Yes, if you refer to the sparks and not the droplets. If the current were not limited by the increased path length, the spark would be continuous, and, therefore, called an arc.