Re: [Phys-l] dealing with the media +- evolution

At 12:46 -0500 4/6/08, cliff parker wrote:

Where is the conjecture? They have plenty of oil. Why use nuclear power?
Your interesting post which I appreciate reading seems to make my point
(Pu-??? = nuclear weapons) and then calls it conjecture.

Just because a nation is using nuclear power doesn't mean that they are planning on using the resulting plutonium to build nuclear weapons. India did, but other nations have been using nuclear power for decades without building nuclear weapons--Canada for one, but there are others. Japan has accumulated several tens of ton of plutonium from reprocessing, but has not (yet) made any attempt to turn it into weapons.

I agree that having access to plutonium can lead to a great temptation to build nuclear weapons, and being able to enrich uranium yourself can be another inducement. Iran is quite likely to fall prey to both those inducements, but absent direct evidence of that, our belief remains conjecture.

I don't think having plenty of oil is necessarily an argument against them wanting nuclear power capability. their oil is clearly a great natural resource that is probably worth a lot more as an export commodity, than it would be for domestic use, so whatever they can save for export by generating their domestic electricity by nuclear power is probably to their benefit, at least as long as they don't do the arithmetic on the cost of nuclear power compared to the cost of generating electricity from domestically produced oil or natural gas.

If the somewhat nutty Iranian president hadn't made such a point of threatening to nuke Israel, his separate claims that they only want nuclear power might be a bit more credible. But what he says, and his nation does, seem not to be much in sync, so, as I said, we are both engaging in conjecture. I'm not arguing that Iran doesn't want weapons; quite the contrary. It's just that unless they test a weapon, or give some other concrete evidence, we are speculating, and we should acknowledge it as such.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar