Re: [Phys-l] experiments with dyes (was: happy equinox)

On Mar 24, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Marty Weiss wrote:
Thousands of artists over hundreds of years are all wrong?
Leonardo, DaVinci, Monet, Renoir, Picasso, Ms. Kennedy (my 9th grade
art teacher), and so on? were they all wrong?

You're suggesting that these artists believed that red, yellow and blue were the only three colours of paint necessary to create their works, and that they did so. This is obviously not the case -- most artists (the non-digital ones) use a variety of pigments, not just three. Maybe an art teacher, discussing the theory of colour, would worry about primary colours -- I doubt Renoir did.

I always thought that a casual glance at the true subtractive primaries might lead to the misconception -- cyan looks blue, magenta is kind of red...

Or maybe artists are just not that efficient. If you want to create any colour that the eye can perceive (or the brain, if you want to revive that argument from CHEMED-L), then C+M+Y (+black to thicken things up) is the *least* number of colours necessary. How many painters do you know have just those colours on their palette?

Mike

---
Michael Porter
Colonel By Secondary School