Re: [Phys-l] experiments with dyes (was: happy equinox)

Renoir invented the portable pallette for use in the outdoors, along with paint *tubes*. Up till then landscape painters had to carry ready made colors pre-mixed in their studios. So, he must have known a lot about color mixing and while he probably did not *think* about primary colors, like an accomplished pianist does not *think* about *how* to hit the chords on the written score, and race car drivers do not have to *think& about the gears in their trtansmission, and the like, he had to know what to mix to give him the shades he needed when he went outside.

Marty